Oil of the Dharma
w***@gmail.com
2014-12-05 23:20:00 UTC
Our conclusion after twelve years on this study is that either three guys on a hike or only the writer did not know the difference between a radiator and a crankcase. Literary research, I tell ya, that's the life.
Steve Hayes
2014-12-06 03:47:23 UTC
On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 15:20:00 -0800 (PST), ***@gmail.com wrote:

Our conclusion after twelve years on this study is that either three guys on a
hike or only the writer did not know the difference between a radiator and a
crankcase. Literary research, I tell ya, that's the life.

(reposted to make badly formatted post readable)
--
Steve Hayes
http://www.goodreads.com/hayesstw
http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/Methodius
Steve Hayes
2014-12-06 04:28:02 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
Our conclusion after twelve years on this study is that either three guys on a
hike or only the writer did not know the difference between a radiator and a
crankcase. Literary research, I tell ya, that's the life.
It need only have been two of the guys on the hike.

If Henry said he was going to drain the crankcase, and went back to do it,
what did he do with the oil?

And if Ray knew the difference, he would surely have questioned him on this.

Japhy probably wan't listening.

I'm not sure why that needed 12 years of study, though -- study of what, and
by whom?
w***@gmail.com
2014-12-07 14:01:02 UTC
Suggest you re-read the section from the Dharma, as well as this thread. Morley brought the project of returning to his ride to drain the crankcase to Japhy, who relayed it to Smith, who even made a chant out of'drain the crankcase.' Morley hiked 16 extra miles on a fool's errand. When the boys returned to the parking lot, they saw there had been no need for Henry's trouble, and they replaced the oil from a local store.

Pretty straightforward, except it says nothing about the radiator, which is the sole worry in cold weather for autos.

Later there was some duck-and-cover by the boys, who knew much more about The Buddha than mechanics, obviously.

The 14 years refers to the time between when we took up the case until today.
Steve Hayes
2014-12-08 04:08:16 UTC
On Sun, 7 Dec 2014 06:01:02 -0800 (PST), ***@gmail.com wrote:

Suggest you re-read the section from the Dharma, as well as this thread.
Morley brought the project of returning to his ride to drain the crankcase to
Japhy, who relayed it to Smith, who even made a chant out of'drain the
crankcase.' Morley hiked 16 extra miles on a fool's errand. When the boys
returned to the parking lot, they saw there had been no need for Henry's
trouble, and they replaced the oil from a local store.

Pretty straightforward, except it says nothing about the radiator, which is
the sole worry in cold weather for autos.

Later there was some duck-and-cover by the boys, who knew much more about The
Buddha than mechanics, obviously.

The 14 years refers to the time between when we took up the case until today.

(reformatted from lame GG editor)
Steve Hayes
2014-12-08 08:05:53 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
Suggest you re-read the section from the Dharma, as well as this thread.
Morley brought the project of returning to his ride to drain the crankcase to
Japhy, who relayed it to Smith, who even made a chant out of'drain the
crankcase.' Morley hiked 16 extra miles on a fool's errand. When the boys
returned to the parking lot, they saw there had been no need for Henry's
trouble, and they replaced the oil from a local store.
Pretty straightforward, except it says nothing about the radiator, which is
the sole worry in cold weather for autos.
Later there was some duck-and-cover by the boys, who knew much more about The
Buddha than mechanics, obviously.
The 14 years refers to the time between when we took up the case until today.
Who is "we" and what is the "case"?
Will Dockery
2015-03-17 07:27:10 UTC
The posters and their readers here at alt.books.beatgeneration.