Jack Kerouac on William F. Buckley's Firing Line
Will Dockery
2018-05-12 08:30:04 UTC
William F. Buckley's Firing Line
Worth a watch.

William F. Buckley’s effete way of talking is a hoot, plus he is leaning
way over to the side and his tie has joined him there. Kerouac is drunk
and slouched down in his chair. His agent shouldn’t have let him appear
in that state, and he looks terrible at 47. The hippie question seems
unimportant now, 50 years later.

I used to enjoy Buckley's take on things, read several of his books.

Buckley and Kerouac went way back, attended a school for boys together....

Yes, it does...but found it interesting recorded history..Jack was dead
within the year.
Will Dockery
2018-08-01 13:35:28 UTC
http://youtu.be/oaBnIzY3R00
William F. Buckley’s effete way of talking is a hoot, plus he is
leaning way over to the side and his tie has joined him there. Kerouac
is drunk and slouched down in his chair. His agent shouldn’t have
let him appear in that state, and he looks terrible at 47. The hippie
question seems unimportant now, 50 years later.
Many years ago, an old friend of mine wanted to persuade me that
Kerouac was a good writer, so he lent me /On The Road/.

I read three or four pages of illiterate garbage, and gave it back.

That wasn't good enough for him, so he subjected me (and his wife) to
his performances of what he thought were the best bits.

He was a good friend, so I didn't mind. But not long afterwards his
wife divorced him.

PJR... hey, long time no see...
Steve Hayes
2018-08-15 11:12:55 UTC
On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 09:35:28 -0400, "Will Dockery"
Post by Will Dockery
Many years ago, an old friend of mine wanted to persuade me that
Kerouac was a good writer, so he lent me /On The Road/.
I read three or four pages of illiterate garbage, and gave it back.
That wasn't good enough for him, so he subjected me (and his wife) to
his performances of what he thought were the best bits.
He was a good friend, so I didn't mind. But not long afterwards his
wife divorced him.
I always thought "On the road" was overrated. "The Dharma bums" was
far better.
--
Steve Hayes
http://www.goodreads.com/hayesstw
http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/Methodius
Will Dockery
2019-02-07 21:47:33 UTC
William F. Buckley's Firing Line
Worth a watch.
http://youtu.be/oaBnIzY3R00
William F. Buckley’s effete way of talking is a hoot, plus he is leaning
way over to the side and his tie has joined him there. Kerouac is drunk
and slouched down in his chair. His agent shouldn’t have let him appear
in that state, and he looks terrible at 47. The hippie question seems
unimportant now, 50 years later.
The footage available on Steve Allen's television show "The Steve Allen
Plymouth Show" (NBC Broadcast, Monday 10:00pm, 16th November 1959) is of a
more commercial bent, and Jack Kerouac went on to collaborate with Allen on
an album of poetry/jazz tunes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poetry_for_the_Beat_Generation

Great footage.