Wikipedia on the novella
Will Dockery
2011-07-05 15:20:22 UTC
"The novella is a common literary genre in several European languages.
English language novellas include Anthony Burgess's A Clockwork
Orange, Voltaire's Candide, John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men, Herman
Melville's Billy Budd, Sailor, George Orwell's Animal Farm, Truman
Capote's Breakfast at Tiffany's, Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man and
the Sea, Robert Louis Stevenson's Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Charles
Dickens' A Christmas Carol, H.G. Wells' The Time Machine, Philip
Roth's Goodbye, Columbus, Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, and Jack
Kerouac's The Subterraneans."
I never knew Voltaire wrote Candide in English.
The Subterraneans by Jack Kerouac can be considered either a series
of, or one long Prose Poem, also.

--
Music & Poetry of Will Dockery & Friends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery
George Dance
2011-07-05 16:29:06 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
"The novella is a common literary genre in several European languages.
English language novellas include Anthony Burgess's A Clockwork
Orange, Voltaire's Candide, John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men, Herman
Melville's Billy Budd, Sailor, George Orwell's Animal Farm, Truman
Capote's Breakfast at Tiffany's, Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man and
the Sea, Robert Louis Stevenson's Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Charles
Dickens' A Christmas Carol, H.G. Wells' The Time Machine, Philip
Roth's Goodbye, Columbus, Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, and Jack
Kerouac's The Subterraneans."
I never knew Voltaire wrote Candide in English.
The Subterraneans by Jack Kerouac can be considered either a series
of, or one long Prose Poem, also.
I have to plead ignorance on that score. I left it in on Wikinfo - but
I did take Voltaire out.

I could have taken Voltaire out of the paragraph on Wikipedia, too,
except that the equivalent of the SP on Wikipedia can block whomever
they want from editing. As it is, Wikipedia would be correct if
Wikipedia worked the way it was designed: something anyone could edit.
The first person to read the article and spot the error would change
it. But I can't edit Wikipedia: all I can do is point out the error
elsewhere, and hope some "Wikipedian" picks up on it.
Post by Will Dockery
--
Music & Poetry of Will Dockery & Friends:http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery