Prose poem: "Smart went crazy."
Will Dockery
2011-02-26 05:03:39 UTC
Somewhere in a post earlier this week, and
probably many times over the course of several years, I've referenced
myself as "crazysmart".  There is apparently no such word in anyone's
lexicon.
I assumed you were referencing Allen Ginsberg's phrase "Smart went
crazy." that Kerouac quoted in his epic prose poem, The Subterraneans:

http://commitmoment.wordpress.com/2010/08/23/subterreaneans/

…Mardou seen in this light, is a little brown body in a gray sheet bed
in the slums of Telegraph Hill, huge figure in the history of the
night yes but only one among many, the asexuality of the WORK – also
the sudden gut joy of beer when the visions of great words in rhythmic
order all in one giant archangel book go roaring thru my brain, so I
lie in the dark also seeing also hearing the jargon of the future
worlds – damajege eleout ekeke dhdkdk dldoud, —-d, ekeoeu dhdhdkehgyt
– better not a more than lther ehe the macmurphy out of that dgardent
that which stangely he doth mdodultkdip – baeseeaatra — poor
examples because of mechanical needs of typing, the flow of river
sounds, words, dark, leading to the future and attesting to the
madness, hollowness, ring and roar of my wind which blessed or
unblessed is where trees sing – in a funny wind – well-being believes
he’ll go to heaven – a word to the wise is enough – “Smart went
Crazy,” wrote Allen Ginsberg.

--
Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:
http://www.youtube.com/user/WDockery
Hieronymous Corey
2011-02-26 10:13:31 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
I assumed you were referencing Allen Ginsberg's phrase "Smart went
Yeah, me too, but apparently I was completely wrong about that. Oh
well, mistakes happen.
Will Dockery
2011-04-04 01:36:28 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
I assumed you were referencing Allen Ginsberg's phrase "Smart went
Yeah, me too, but apparently I was completely wrong about that.  Oh
well, mistakes happen.
Maybe not completely... I have seen other references to the Ginsberg
line, including the actual poem by him. I'll have another look when I
return.