Jack Kerouac in the movies
Will Dockery
2013-03-23 09:32:26 UTC
http://pennyspoetry.wikia.com/wiki/The_Subterraneans_(Film_version)#Jack_Kerouac_in_the_movies

The Subterraneans (Film version)

The Subterraneans: George Peppard as Jack Kerouac.

On the Road is finally a movie, haven't seen it yet but remember well the
many tries Hollywood has made at catching the Kerouac magic on film... like
the bizarre sight of a white Mardou with George Peppard as Jack.

And...

"George Peppard played a bohemian... He loved playing roles that were not
the norm. He enjoyed a role that was different. At this time, George
himself, was quite the bohemian. He had lived in Greenwich Village among the
artists, writers, and beatnik philosophers of his time. This was familiar
territory to George. So here he is... The young and handsome George Peppard
in rare footage from his first major starring role, in "The Subterraneans"
with his co-star, Leslie Caron..."

Peppard/Kerouac in a beatnik jazz joint:

Will Dockery
2013-03-23 10:55:32 UTC
5:32 AMWill Dockery
The Subterraneans (Film version)
The Subterraneans: George Peppard as Jack Kerouac.
On the Road is finally a movie, haven't seen it yet but remember well the
many tries Hollywood has made at catching the Kerouac magic on film... like
the bizarre sight of a white Mardou with George Peppard as Jack.
The purpose of your post has personal relevance that isn't made clear by
what or how you write. Your point isn't specifically evident.
Mainly the interesting story of Jack Kerouac stories being made into movies,
most recently, "On The Road":

http://pennyspoetry.wikia.com/wiki/On_the_Road_(film)

"On the Road is a 2012 Brazilian-French[1] drama film directed by Walter
Salles. It is an adaptation of the 1957 novel of the same name by Jack
Kerouac. ..."
Will Dockery
2013-03-23 11:48:47 UTC
Ah... to see this:

A film adaptation of On the Road had been in the works for years. In 1957,
Jack Kerouac wrote a one-page letter to actor Marlon Brando, suggesting that
he play Dean Moriarty while Kerouac would portray Sal Paradise. In the
letter, Kerouac envisioned the film to be shot "with the camera on the front
seat of the car showing the road (day and night) unwinding into the
windshield, as Sal and Dean yak.

Does this one page synopsis/letter still exist?
Dave Moore
2013-03-23 20:41:01 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
A film adaptation of On the Road had been in the works for years. In 1957,
Jack Kerouac wrote a one-page letter to actor Marlon Brando, suggesting
that he play Dean Moriarty while Kerouac would portray Sal Paradise. In
the letter, Kerouac envisioned the film to be shot "with the camera on the
front seat of the car showing the road (day and night) unwinding into the
windshield, as Sal and Dean yak.
Does this one page synopsis/letter still exist?
Yes, it can be seen here, Will:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/06/jack-kerouacs-letter-to-marlon-brando-on-the-road_n_1189591.html

Dave
Will Dockery
2013-03-28 13:03:10 UTC
Post by Dave Moore
Post by Will Dockery
A film adaptation of On the Road had been in the works for years. In
1957, Jack Kerouac wrote a one-page letter to actor Marlon Brando,
suggesting that he play Dean Moriarty while Kerouac would portray Sal
Paradise. In the letter, Kerouac envisioned the film to be shot "with the
camera on the front seat of the car showing the road (day and night)
unwinding into the windshield, as Sal and Dean yak.
Does this one page synopsis/letter still exist?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/06/jack-kerouacs-letter-to-marlon-brando-on-the-road_n_1189591.html
Thanks, Dave... mind blowing piece of work!

http://pennyspoetry.wikia.com/wiki/On_the_Road_(film)

I'll excerpt just a bit of it in case that scan (and/or link) vanishes, so
some key will be in the archives:

In 1957, Jack Kerouac wrote a one-page letter to actor Marlon Brando,
suggesting that he play Dean Moriarty while Kerouac would portray Sal
Paradise. In the letter, Kerouac envisioned the film to be shot "with the
camera on the front seat of the car showing the road (day and night)
unwinding into the windshield, as Sal and Dean yak."[8]

I'm praying that you'll buy ON THE ROAD and make a movie of it. Don't worry
about the structure, I know to compress and re-arrange the plot a bit to
give a perfectly acceptable movie-type structure: making it into one
all-inclusive trip instead of the several voyages coast-to-coast in the
book, one vast round trip from New York to Denver to Frisco to Mexico to New
Orleans to New York again. I visualize the beautiful shots could be made
with the camera on the front seat of the car showing the road (day and
night) unwinding into the windshield, as Sal and Dean yak. I wanted you to
play the part because Dean (as you know) is no dopey hotrodder but a real
intelligent (in fact Jesuit) Irishman. You play Dean and I'll play Sal
(Warner Bros. mentioned I play Sal) and I'll show you how Dean acts in real
life [...] What I wanta do is re-do the theater and the cinema in America,
give it a spontaneous dash, remove pre-conceptions of "Situation" and let
people rave on as they do in real life. That's what the play is: no plot in
particular, no "meaning in particular, just the way people are. -Jack
Kerouac, in a letter to Marlon Brando.

Brando never responded to the letter
Will Dockery
2013-05-13 13:35:35 UTC
"Hieronymous House" <***@gmail.com> wrote in message news:e14b5e4c-04f9-40b4-899f-***@googlegroups.com...
6:55 AM Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
Mainly the interesting story of Jack Kerouac stories being made into movies,
What you find interesting isn't necessarily interesting to anyone else.
You can make the effort to be interesting, to make what you find
interesting equally interesting to others by writing about your interest
in a way that attracts more interest. You haven't done that in this
thread, and the information available at the link you posted is more
readily available through Wikipedia. I agree with you that On The Road and
Kerouac are interesting, and a review of the movie in comparison with the
book would make an interesting read. I'm not really very interested in
seeing the movie > or writing such a review, but it might be an
interesting idea for somebody who is.
I'm feeling kind of the same way about Kerouac and On The Road as folks are
now about the remake of The Great Gatsby... after so many years aof bad
Kerouac based films, I'm still wary

All this Gatsby discussion mostly makes me think of the great "New Dylan" of
1973, Elliot Murphy and his references to that milleu:

"Waiting on some dream lover Like a Great Gatsby, then I look into the
mirror and it's only me..."