Allen Ginsberg at Albert Hall
Will Dockery
2013-02-16 05:54:09 UTC
Allen Ginsberg at Albert Hall

http://duane-vermouth0.blogspot.com/2012/08/allen-ginsberg-at-albert-hall.html

"...In 1965, the Albert Hall was like a maypole. There were people in
T-shirts and tailcoats, suede shoes and flowering ties, girls in string
vests, gym shoes, flowered dresses; boys in spotted shorts, punjabi jackets,
windbreakers; gentlemen in pinstripes. Seven thousand people had paid 5s or
10s to hear "Poets of the World. Poets of Our Time. An Historic Gathering of
Many of the World's Great Poets. A Spontaneous Planet Chant. Hot Peace
Shower. Poesie Insemination. Global Synthesis." Girls were handing out
flowers to everyone: "Come with flowers", the invitation had read. "Come in
fancy dress ...." On a flower-scattered dais, a poet was reading: "I'm
waiting for my case to come up and I'm waiting for the Age of Anxiety to
drop dead and I'm waiting for them to prove that God is really American and
I'm waiting for a reconstructed Mayflower to reach America with its picture
story and TV rights sold in advance and I'm happily waiting for things to
get much worse ...."

Read more via the link above.
Bearplug
2013-03-06 08:03:50 UTC
[...]