The Bum in Dharma
w***@gmail.com
2015-02-15 03:30:53 UTC
60%
__

Where'd you learn to do all these funny things?" he laughed. "And you know I say funny but there's sumpthin so durned sensible about 'em. Here I am killin myself drivin this rig back and forth from Ohio to L.A. and I make more money than you ever had in your whole life as a hobo, but you're the one who enjoys life and not only that but you do it without workin or a whole lot of money. Now who's smart, you or me?" And he had a nice home in Ohio with wife, daughter, Christmas tree, two cars, garage, lawn, lawnmower, but he couldn't enjoy any of it because he really wasn't free. It was sadly true. It didn't mean I was a better man than he was, however, he was a great man and I liked him and he liked me and said "Well I'll tell you, supposin I drive you all the way to Ohio."

Except ... He's free because the trucker gives him a ride, which is paid for by the shipping company. Free is hiking from San Francisco to Yosemite, like John Muir. Bummin' rides is the freedom of the lazy teen in his room with no responsibilities and Ma doing his laundry and bringing the grub. (In fact, "Smith" lived all her life with Memere, and when she died, he simply married a reasonable facsimile.)
Steve Hayes
2015-02-15 03:44:29 UTC
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 19:30:53 -0800 (PST), ***@gmail.com wrote:

60%
__

[...]

[reposted to make legible. Original posted with lame GoogleGroups
editor]
--
Steve Hayes
http://www.goodreads.com/hayesstw