Nick Nolte as Neal Cassady
Will Dockery
2014-09-25 00:37:15 UTC
Affliction was a good Nick Nolte movie,
I met him once. I was DJing in a club in lower NY state and he came in one
night late. Drunk off his ass him and his cousin were on the dance floor
by themselves dancing like assholes. This was about 30 years ago.
Interesting... must have been right around the time Nolte was playing Neal
Cassady in the first Jack Kerouac related film I had ever heard of, Heart
Beat:

Postwar America was a time of status quo, a conventional era at which three
unconventional people thumbed their noses, lives foreshadowing the social
and sexual upheavals of the 1960s: Jack Kerouac. Carolyn Cassady. And Neal
Cassady, the free spirit who became the heroic model for Kerouac's landmark
novel On the Road.

Nick Nolte, Sissy Spacek and John Heard star in writer/director John Byrum's
atmospheric portrait of the trio that marched to the sound of the Beat
Generation before it was labeled by the media. In bringing to heartfelt
big-screen life this poignant three-way love affair, each star gives an
impressively revealing performance. All roads in mainstream America once led
to tract homes just like those in Heart Beat. But Jack, Carolyn and Neal
threw that road map away.

a.. Partner ratinga.. R
b.. Purchasea.. Heart Beat (Amazon.com)
c.. Running timea.. 1:48:19
d.. Release datea.. 1980
e.. Actorsa.. John Heard b.. John Larroquette c.. Nick Nolte d.. Ray
Sharkey e.. Sissy Spacek f.. Steve Allen g.. Tony Bill
f.. Directora.. John Byrum
g.. Producersa.. Michael Shamberg b.. Alan Greisman
h.. Writera.. John Byrum
i.. Categorya.. Drama
w***@gmail.com
2014-11-22 19:41:26 UTC
First argument I ever had with Carolyn Cassady was over the casting of Neal in any prospective film. That was in 1972. I thought Paul Newman might work well. She was disgusted. "Paul Newman is Paul Newman!"

I didn't have an answer to that.
Will Dockery
2015-03-17 05:49:01 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
First argument I ever had with Carolyn Cassady was over the casting of Neal in any prospective film. That was in 1972. I thought Paul Newman might work well. She was disgusted. "Paul Newman is Paul Newman!"
I didn't have an answer to that.
Interesting... what did she think of Nick Nolte?