I Dreamed I Met William Burroughs -- Franz Wright
Will Dockery
2009-12-18 19:59:57 UTC
Only decently halfway hip poem I've seen in the New Yorker since
Dorothy Parker died. In last week's issue . . .
I DREAMED I MET WILLIAM BURROUGHS
I met William Burroughs in a dream.
It was some sort of bohemian farmhouse,
and he was enthroned, small and skeletal,
in a truly gigantic red armchair.
When I asked him how he was, he replied
Well, you know what they say—for best results,
always mock and frighten lobster before boiling.
Franz—I like that name, Franz. Childe Franz
to the dark tower something or other . . . Hey,
they can’t help themselves, they’re like abused dogs
and they’re going to react to affection and kindness
with uncontrollable savagery. Just tell them,
You’re out of my mind, pal. You’re out
of my mind. Either that or, I’m out of yours.
That’ll keep them brain-chained to their trees.
--Franz Wright
http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/12/14/091214po_poem_wrig...

Just caught this post... good find. Passing on to the real poets at
a.a.p.c.

--
"Red Lipped Stranger & other stories" by Will Dockery:
http://www.myspace.com/willdockery
BLACKPOOLJIMMY
2009-12-18 20:44:10 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
[...]