Kerouac's "On the Road" - movie trailer released
Dave Moore
2012-03-10 00:49:22 UTC
A trailer of the movie version of Kerouac's "On the Road" has just been
released:

Dave
Will Dockery
2012-04-14 10:34:13 UTC
Post by Dave Moore
A trailer of the movie version of Kerouac's "On the Road" has just been
http://youtu.be/iaUkNXzi_XM
Dave
Fantastic! Thanks Dave!

Re-Posted for my fellow poets at alt.arts.poetry.comments.

--
Under The Radar / Shadowville All-Stars:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery#!/play_now/song_12609809
Adam Lynn
2012-04-14 11:40:18 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Dave Moore
A trailer of the movie version of Kerouac's "On the Road" has just been
http://youtu.be/iaUkNXzi_XM
Dave
Fantastic! Thanks Dave!
Re-Posted for my fellow poets at alt.arts.poetry.comments.
--
Under The Radar / Shadowville All-Stars:http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery#!/play_now/song_12609809
Thanks Will; good stuff.

Bob
Corey
2012-04-14 11:57:24 UTC
Post by Adam Lynn
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Dave Moore
A trailer of the movie version of Kerouac's "On the Road" has just been
http://youtu.be/iaUkNXzi_XM
Dave
Fantastic! Thanks Dave!
Re-Posted for my fellow poets at alt.arts.poetry.comments.
--
Under The Radar / Shadowville All-Stars:http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery#!/play_now/song_12609809
Thanks Will; good stuff.
Bob
Duh duh duh-duh duh.

Duh
Adam Lynn

Thanks again for the books.
Corey
Duh, nuh-uh.
Will Dockery
2012-04-14 14:07:07 UTC
Post by Adam Lynn
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Dave Moore
A trailer of the movie version of Kerouac's "On the Road" has just been
http://youtu.be/iaUkNXzi_XM
Dave
Fantastic! Thanks Dave!
Re-Posted for my fellow poets at alt.arts.poetry.comments.
Thanks Will; good stuff.
More on the earlier attempt at turning the "On The Road" era into a film,
the 1980 "Heart Beat", which looked great as far as the actors and the 1950s
styled sets, but turned the story into a slightly sleazy soap opera:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_Beat_(film)

"The film explores the love triangle of real-life characters Neal Cassady,
Jack Kerouac, and Carolyn Cassady in the late 1950's and the 1960's. It
chronicles Jack Kerouac writing his seminal novel On the Road, and its
effect on their lives..."

I see that the expert Roger Ebert sums up the problems of this film pretty
well:

There were long stretches of Heart Beat during which I found myself
wishing instead for a film version of On the Road... The movie's a triumph
of art direction, all right; the locations, clothes, lighting, moods, music
and whole tone of the performances are designed to lower a kind of nostalgic
dropcloth over the story... This movie treats its events as so long ago, so
finished and done with and bathed in a yellowing afterglow, that we don't
sense the very passion and rebelliousness it's supposed to be about. What an
irony for the first serious film about the Beats. -Roger Ebert, 1980
Will Dockery
2012-04-14 13:46:32 UTC
Post by Adam Lynn
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Dave Moore
A trailer of the movie version of Kerouac's "On the Road" has just been
http://youtu.be/iaUkNXzi_XM
Dave
Fantastic! Thanks Dave!
Re-Posted for my fellow poets at alt.arts.poetry.comments.
Thanks Will; good stuff.
Bob
It does look like a pretty decent Kerouac adaptation, which they never seem
to be able to get right.

Visually, I think Nick Nolte and Sissy Spacek captured the "look" of the
Beat era pretty well in 1983's "Heartbeat", but the story turned the Carolyn
Cassady telling of her years with Neal and Jack into another soap opera of
threesomes and dope smoking.
Corey
2012-04-18 10:57:04 UTC
Dave
Dave!
"Dave? Dave's not here." - C&C

"On the road again, like a band of gypsies we roll down the Hi way." -
Willie?
Will Dockery
2012-04-19 03:50:03 UTC
Post by Corey
Dave
Dave!
"Dave? Dave's not here." - C&C
"On the road again, like a band of gypsies we roll down the Hi way." -
Willie?
Indeed, and BTW...

Brother Dave asked if you were going to make it to Hogbottom this
weekend, since I kind of hinted that it was slightly possible when
folks asked about you a couple weeks ago.

So Dave says "Howdy..."

http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery
Corey
2012-04-19 08:07:19 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Corey
Dave
Dave!
"Dave? Dave's not here." - C&C
"On the road again, like a band of gypsies we roll down the Hi way." -
Willie?
Indeed, and BTW...
Brother Dave asked if you were going to make it to Hogbottom this
weekend, since I kind of hinted that it was slightly possible when
folks asked about you a couple weeks ago.
So Dave says "Howdy..."
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery
You hinted because I hinted, but unfortunately it ain't gonna happen.
I can't make it. Sorry. Have a great time. Tell everybody I said hey.